[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Feb 11 19:13:23 CST 2003

"Frank Van Damme" <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> writes ...

[snip]

> I had some bad experience last days... got a new pc (well
> mobo-case-cpu-mem), which at home didn't work; took it back to the store,
> they replaced the power supply, demonstrated me it worked; I return home
> with it, it's just as dead as something.
>
> That means: I have the same problem as before they changed the psu: the
> thing's beeping all the time and doesn't boot. Extra detail: it didn't do
> that in the store, and I did NOT change ANY components before trying. I
can
> add a video card if I like, stays neatly blank. Extremely frustrating if
> you SAW IT WORKS and just ceased doing that when you return home with it.

Heh.

I bought a new PC in 1992.  Hot stuff: '486-66, 4 Megs RAM, 500 meg HD, 15"
monitor, etc.  $2,200.  Took it home.  Worked fine.  A few weeks later, I
wanted some more of that $65-per-meg memory, so I took it back to the store.

Tech installs more memory; now we have 8 Megs.  Machine works fine.  I take
it home.  Boot it up.  It has 5 Megs.  Boot it again.  Only 5 megs.

Call the store.  Tech says to bring it back.  I do.  He boots it up.  8
Megs.  I curse, take the machine, and drive home.  I boot it.  5 goddam Megs
again.

Back to the store.  Boot up.  8 Megs now.  Tech replaces all the memory
anyway.  Boot up.  8 Megs.  I curse, take the machine, and drive home.  I
boot it.  Now it's got 8 Megs.  Hooray.

I call the store, talk to the tech.  "WTF?" I ask him.

"Sometimes they just want a ride in the car," he replied.

-Shel