[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Feb 11 18:36:31 CST 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 07:32 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Well it damd well is, people in this era still refuse the upgrade the
> computers from 6 years ago just because appX has to be Really Big to
> do the
> exact same jobs as years ago

   I see your point, but I think an even bigger problem is when they
*do* upgrade...or perform what they THINK is an upgrade but actually
isn't, because a 1GHz PC MUST be faster than a 300MHz UltraSPARC,
right??  Then it's people like us who have to mop up the mess.

> (not speaking of java here. I don't know java and I don't care about
> it. You
> want compatibility? distribute your stuff in source code form.)

   Unfortunately that approach doesn't work in situations where product
liability may be a concern.

       -Dave