[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happening

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Feb 11 14:10:27 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:56:47PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    There's a such thing as a programming language whose conceptual level
> is TOO HIGH.  This is a big problem with inexperienced programmers.
> Most of the horribly slow and bloated C++ code that I've looked through
> suffers from problems very much like the one I described above, and I
> suspect all the commercial farmed-out-to-India bloatware that you guys
> are bitching about is like this as well.

It's not that the conceptual level is too high.  Writing slow code like
you example is just fine, for a prototype.  The programmer in question
just didn't know how to think on more than one level.  Get him to do
assembly, and he probably would never be able to do a single significant
program in his life.