[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Feb 11 00:02:21 CST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:39:10PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 11:30 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >> FWIW, our shop does some Java, but I haven't noticed that the
> >> development
> >> was all that rapid; in fact, rather the contrary.  Might not be Java
> >> at
> >> fault, of course....
> >
> > Most Java programs don't know how to get development speed from it.
> > Frankly, I'm not sure I do, even though I know it's in there somewhere.
>
>    Eh??  You just...*write* it.  You want a button?  A line of code.
> You want a file chooser widget?  A dozen lines of code.  You want an
> error dialog box with a stop-sign icon?  Three lines of code.

Oh.  You get all that by paring GTK (not to be confused with the whole
GNOME thing) with C.  Or, wxwindows for that matter.

I thought people would be refering to things like the built in object
serializer, the ability to query an object for it's methods, then call
them based on what it says it can do rather than one you knew the object
could do at compile time (I haven't tested this, but I'm told it's
there), not to mention built in threads, built in lexical parser, or any
of the other thousand and one things that java comes with, some of which
can easily be done in C++ by adding a library, and others which are
extremely difficult to do in the easy manner java does it (serializing
objects and message passing come to mind).  Mind you, except for the
threads, lexical parser, and the smallest test of serializing, I've used
none of these features, and wouldn't know how to use them off the top of
my head.