[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 10 18:00:00 CST 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 06:39 PM, David Holland wrote:
>>    Why would anyone *ever* want to use such a management tool, even if
>> it were fast?  I see zero usefulness.
>
> 'cause Sun is shoving it down down your throat due to for support
> reasons.

   Ahh, ok.  I can understand being backed up against that wall.  That's
one of the reasons I never buy any sort of vendor "support" and I don't
use (or specify) computers that I can't manage (or train someone to
manage) without said support.

   This won't work for everyone of course, and I'll never suggest that
it could...but that's the way I do things.

> FWIW, I agree SMC has just about zero usefulness, (Oh gee, it can show
> me a picture of which power supply failed - whoopity doo)  Slow is a
> "MILD" term for it as well.

   Yeah. :-(

> I always found it ironic that the company that invented the language
> had
> the worst performance for it.

   Again, I've seen just the opposite, but I suspect we're using it for
very different things.

        -Dave