Programming Languages (was Re: [rescue] Solaris on a PPC)

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Feb 10 12:25:18 CST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:50:27 -0500, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
wrote:

> Well, "whoever pays the piper calls the tune," and all that, but it seems
> like forcing out the founder, piper, and big-name frontman isn't exactly
the
> way to making a good ROI.  Most VCs are smarter than that, but not all of
> 'em.

Seems to me something like that happened to Shugart.

What I heard was, the investors kicked him out because they didn't like how
he
was running things, and he went off to form Seagate Technology to compete
directly with Shugart Associates. So, which company is now practically a
household word, and which one has died in obscurity?

http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/online/revolution/shugart/i_a.html
http://www.digitalcentury.com/encyclo/update/shugart.html

Heh

http://www.crn.com/sections/special/supplement/763/763p89_hof.asp

I guess it wasn't as clear-cut as that after all. Oh well, it made a good
story.

---
Here's my Golden rule for a tarnished age: Be fair with others, but then keep
after them until they're fair with you. -Alan Alda