[rescue] The window mangler war

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Sat Feb 8 15:57:05 CST 2003

> On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 01:23 AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:45:10PM -0500, Al Potter wrote:
> >> So, I guess I missed it, twice...
> >>
> >> Do either Blackbox or Fluxbox support BOTH virtual desktops AND
> >> multiple
> >> desktops?
> >
> > What's the difference?
>
> As I understand it (and I might be wrong) virtual desktops are desktops
> that are larger than the displayed screen, and you can scroll the
> screen around within the virtual desktop (say your display is set to
> 1024x768, but your desktop is 1600x1200, your visible screen would be a
> window to the whole desktop) multiple desktops are just having more
> than one 'desktop', but the desktops are all the same size as your
> displayable screen size.

This is closest.

BEWARE!  ASCII Art follows!

Desktop:	+-----+  display space = actual resolution
		| xx  |
		| xx  |   xx's are an application window
		+-----+

Virtual
Desktop:	+-----+-----+-----+
		+-----+-----+-----+
		+-----+----xxxxxxx+
		|     |    xxxxxxx| Applications larger than the physical
		|     |    xxxxxxx|    resolution spill over to and are viewable
		+-----+-----+-----+    on the virtual adjacent window

Multiple desktops are more than one of wither of the above.

Olvwm, fvwm (and others) have virtual desktops.

Blackbox, Fluxbox (from what I can see), olm, CDW (mwm) et al have multiple desktops.

Enlightenment has both.

What else has both?

AL