[rescue] WHEE! garbage machine is alive and kicking.

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Feb 8 18:02:40 CST 2003

OK after various frustrations last night and a defective CD-ROM and
floppy disk (two floppies actually but one just needed a tightening of
the head screw) I am now the proud owner of a big ball of NFS (TM)

This is the Gateway NS-8000 I found in the garbage on 42nd street...
after cleaning the filthy insides and finding a nice NT4 with easy to
guess password and doing some research for the fun of it I did the
following (original config follows then current config)

Orig:
Pentium II 233
128 MB ECC RAM
Telepath X2 56K Modem
3com 3c905 10/100
4GB Seagate Barracuda
Floppy
SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX32
Conner TR4 tape
Windows NT 4 + Small Business Server

Now:
Dual Pentium II 333
128 MB ECC RAM
3com 3c905 10/100
HP Netraid 3si with 32MB cache
3 x 18 GB Seagate Barracudas in the RAID cage (RAID 5) with cardboard
separators (tried to make my own sheet metal constructions and it just
wasn't working so I made a cardboard tube stuck it on the bottom...
pushed the first drive onto the connector... pushed the next one on and
placed two flat pieces of cardboard in between it and the first drive
to align them... repeat... I was going to have 4 18's and I may do
this, I haven't decided yet (Bought 5 drives and wanted to use the 5th
as a spare i.e. use it somewhere else where the data was unimportant
and pull it if I had a failure, but 2 are DOA so I'm going to arrange
to exchange them with the seller; HDOUTLET)
Floppy
IDE Mitsumi CD-ROM FX-32 (a good drive and bootable unlike the other
one; though probably cause it was bad)
Conner TR4 tape
FreeBSD 5.0 RC3 with a custom kernel... machine's hostname is chef...
the kernel is LOVEGRAVY

Man this thing is fast... esp I/O.
Andrew