[rescue] Speaking of Solaris GUI options...

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Feb 7 15:37:17 CST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:28:28PM -0800, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> ... and I am just fscking boggling at the requirements:  128MB of memory
> (256MB recommended!) and 600MB of disk space.

It helps sell more hardware though!

> Someone explain to me how in 20 years we've managed to increase the
> processing and storage requirements by orders of magnitude, while somehow
> not managing to move much beyond the basic overlapping
> windows/mouse/keyboard paradigm?  Where is all this code bloat coming
> from?

Fluff and crap to make it look like Windows.  Poorly coded apps.

If you get a chance, have look at a NeXT Machine running v3.3 .  It
basically does everything OSX does on 1/10 the hardware.  It was
actually fast and usable on a 68040 @ 33Mhz machine with 64MB RAM.
For OSX, you better have a G3 running at 600Mhz or better and 256MB
RAM.

(Someday perhaps Jobs will allow the internal-to-Apple x86 build of
OSX to be shipped.)

--Patrick