[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Feb 7 01:45:24 CST 2003

Well, yes you are correct on that one.  I didn't think about
it, but when you minimize a window you actually have two icons
for that app.  I don't get that either.  But it was easily
forgotten because it doesn't affect me that much.

The part that makes sense to me is the lack of a menu or menu
button that is visible all the time for apps and such.  If i
need something i'll hit a shortcut on the keyboard or right
click for it.  Also the way in which themes are dealt with and
the ease with which i can hide an app or window COMPLETELY.
Those are some of the things that make sense to me. They may
be present in other managers but i am comparing it to Gnome,
KDE primarily. They are opposite philosophies.  All in all,
WindowMaker allows you to be fairly minimalist and still have
something decent to look at at the same time.  I like that.

I've got nothing against CDE.  I liked OpenWindows, though i
never used it a lot.  I have some complaints with the Irix
manager (4dwm?) but nothing major.  It is fairly quick and
that's my number one priority so i am sure i will grow to like
it as well.

/KRM