[rescue] 128 bits...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 08:29:51 CST 2003

--- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> > > a bit huge... I am fascinated by the idea of a CPU that addresses
> > > directly into secondary storage, data files exists as address
> > > locations, not inodes or sectors/tracks/platters on a SCSI ID...
> >
> >    George Adkins and I were discussing something along these lines
> > a few months ago.  An architecture like that has some interesting
> > possibilities.
>
> And interesting problems.  I suspect you'd want object like that
> aligned at certainly memory addresses (segments, if you will), sort
> of like how IP networks are aligned at the all-zeros address of a
> certain mask.

I don't follow this, but it's probably just me...

> With many of these interesting memory-mapped objects, you'd quickly
> exhaust the address space (Assuming a maximum filesize of 4GB, you
> could have no more than billion files, assuming a larger filesize
> decreases the address space exponentially).

You would consume the address space in a linear fashion, not
exponential they way I envision it...

> The alternative would to have a gigantic lookup table, which would
> consume space in itself, and bring with it all the problems of
> directory management (fragmentation, etc.).

You don;t solve real-world problems by using this type of storage
arrangement, you solve programming/logical problems...

> You could, I suppose, virtually map things at nice offsets, and
> physically map them against a table (a la TLB), but you'd still have
> to do a lot of song-and-dance behind the scenes.

Naw, the OS would. ;^)

The fundamental invention in Unix was the decision that "everything is
a file" - mapping storage to a linear address space is really taking
this original idea to the next logical level. If you can tollerate a
segmented address space, the possibilities are *huge*...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com