Programming Languages (was Re: [rescue] Solaris on a PPC)

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Feb 6 18:35:31 CST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:35:03PM -0500, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Guess what happened?
>
> Looks like they went TU.
>
> I hadn't kept up with it, but I know Philip Greenspun was involved.  In
> fact, I thought he was the boss, so I'm a bit surprised that there were
> suits to do any deciding at all.  Greenspun doesn't seem like a particularly
> suit-friendly kind of guy....

Phil was the guy who started the company.  Later, they brought in (I
think) Greylock Partners who invested 20-30 million .

> Worse, it looks like their spiritual successor, ADUni.org, is dead, or at
> least comatose, too.

Comatose, well actually being run by volunteers I think.

The spiritual successor to the GPL software they built is OpenACS.org.

OpenACS is a pretty rocking web toolkit.

--Patrick