[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 6 17:37:08 CST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 05:52 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>>> I sadly have to agree. Kde is pretty much going the same way as
>>> windows, it
>>> takes up almost half the RAM that Xp does *g* . OTOH, I thought CDE
>>> fell
>>> under the "old crap" category? Or do I have to jump in a manhole
>>> again
>>> now?
>>
>>    Well, since it's a current product, in current development, I would
>> have to say it isn't "old crap".  Sure, it's been around awhile...but
>> by that metric, the x86 architecture is 25 years old and UNIX is well
>> over 30.
>
> Current development? I learn somehing new every day...

   Had you seen something that suggested otherwise?

> Actually this is a mistake many people make.
> The old enlightenment 0.16 as we know it (the window manager that eats
> 5
> megs ram and that supports transparant window moving) isn't developped
> anymore. They're working on something "better" however, a new window
> manager/ file manager etc. based on a canvas that can be hardware
> accelerated. I'd check out
> http://www.enlightenment.org/pages/components.html - I compile the
> whole
> thing every now and then to see how far they are. Try out the Evas
> demo! :)

   Really?  Wow I had *no* idea...I built, installed, and used 0.16
shortly after it came out.  I kept hearing about 0.17 which was "just
about ready to be released"...for months.  Then the "news" section of
their web pages stopped getting updated.

>>    In terms of swap space, you mean?
>
> In terms of du -hs after the build.

   Ahh..understood..

> He knows a lot better then I do for sure. You often see holy wars about
> which is the ultimate programming language but I have yet to see a
> scientific study showing which of both sides is right.

   There is no ultimate programming language.  While it's true that,
generally speaking, anything that can be done on a computer can be done
in any programming language, a particular language is typically better
suited to a given application while being worse for others.  People who
know only one language and are unwilling to learn another (due to
laziness or whatever) will often press thier one language into service
where it doesn't belong.  I believe such programs are better off
remaining unwritten, and such programmers should remain unemployed.
Further, incompetent people who DO know more than one language often
make bad choices and misapply a given language to a task for which it
is ill-suited.  These programmers should also be unemployed...or at
least beaten up on their front lawns in front of their families.

   You will see no scientific study showing which is right...because
their is no "best" language.  There are a few good ones, and lots of
bad ones, to be sure...but there is no "best" one to cover all uses.

         -Dave