[rescue] Recommended patches for old versions

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 6 12:13:51 CST 2003

YMMV,

Here's my recollection of the various Solaris's..

2.0 - Lets pretend it never happend. :-)

2.1x86 was at least "usable" - I used it to develop most of the
Solarisx86/XFree86 OS support code.  (Albeit I did find one or two
kernel bugs during that timeframe.)

2.2 - Never saw it.

2.3 - Patch-o-rama.  Remember, only use every other one.  (Its the
'stable' tree. To steal a Linux phrase.)   :-)

2.4 - Not particularly noteworthy.  Better than its predecessors.

2.5.1 (x86/Sparc) is reasonably stable, however its feature lacking by
today's standards.

2.6 - Also not noteworthy.

2.7 - Eh, ok.

2.8 - We've ran into too many of its farking performance bottlenecks its
not funny.  Fairly stable if you don't actually push it to DO anything.
:-?

2.9 has demonstrated to us (Work) that either Moe, Larry or Curley has
started managing the communications between Sun's Applications people,
and Sun's OS people.