[rescue] Recommended patches for old versions (why)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Feb 6 11:34:57 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Loch" <kloch at gurunet.net>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] Recommended patches for old versions (why)

> 2.5 Added features (CDE on supplement disk)
> 2.5.1 added support for U1
> 2.6 Performance imporvements, UE support, rock solid reliablilty
> probably the most widely deployed release ever.
>
> and so on.
>
> Am I even close?

I remember 2.5.1 being widely deployed and rock solid.  When my university
attempted to upgrade to 2.6, they very quickly decided to downgrade again
and wait for 2.7.  (Campus-wide)... and this was several UE 3000's, 4000's,
and 6000's... which eventually became a 10000 (one othe the 6000's that is).
I loved 2.5.1 x86 once I got past their wretched boot disk debacle (the one
that shipped was useless)  I had to get a somewhat hard to get patched boot
disk to get the thing to install.

Andrew