[rescue] again, SGI Onyx rescue

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu Feb 6 10:21:10 CST 2003

Hello Walter & all,

> I was going to photoshop it into a fridge and send it to the list but
> didn't want to take the chance of people coming over to beat me :)

  yup... never mind a fun vacation. :-)

> For my own curiosity, does anybody have a clue how much this thing
> must've cost? (4x R4400 at 100MHz, 64MB RAM, 1GB disk, 2 pipes,
> 2 multi-channel option boards)

  Onyx RE2 with 4 R4400/150 and 64 MB was ~200.000 US$ in 1993 I
  think. With upgrades it could become pretty expensive pretty fast...
  64 MB were listed for about ~12.000 US$, a 1.2GB disk for 4.500 US$.
  And according to the Periodic Table I have over here a 24 CPU
  machine (still only R4400/150) was ~660.000 US$. One pipeline only,
  no MCO and no other goodies.

> I am willing to sell it, price depends and may be very low if I get to
> keep a login. Or if anybody knows a good home for it.. I am asking
> around at my former university for instance. I do want some money
> though, I didn't get it for free. Location Eindhoven Netherlands.
> Some people mailed to be about this before, please contact again.

  *argl*

  I'm terribly tempted. Unfortunately I have a slight storage problem
  at the moment.

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de