[rescue] SM100 CPUs (Re: SNMP BABY!)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 6 10:12:30 CST 2003

> Don't bash that module in the very first place.
You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it--I just don't share
it.  I prefer to call a spade a spade--and as James has pointed out
the SM100 was only a stopgap to start with.

> Infact, this was the
> very first CPU offered on the 4/600, and it did perform our
> tasks quite
> well, beeing so low-spec comparing to the later (and otherwise totally
> different) Mbus-modules.
Yep, once upon a time I sat and played on a 4/670 with (IIRC) four
of these in it...but that was long ago [0].  I would never have described
that system as a speed demon, but it did well enough at the time.

> But trust me, I'd never ever waste a 4/600 chassie or a SS10
> to run one of those CPU modules in production.

I think we're in violent agreement on that.  I just don't want anyone
to waste their time getting an SM100 and then discovering how little
support there is for it nowadays.

  --Rip

[0]  This was the "desktop" of one of the sysadmins at...an interesting
organization.  Actually, it was more-or-less his entire desk.