e: [rescue] IBM RS/6k 48P

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Feb 6 04:32:30 CST 2003

On 2003.02.06 09:47 vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> > It is located in Austria and I am in South-West Germany. It would be
> > trip of at least 8..10 hours. (one way)
> Hehehe.  I've gone further than that to get loads.  8-)
Problem: I should not sit here an write E-Mails. I should learn for my
diploma exam. Not to talk about wasting a day or two to get hardware
that I have no real urgent need for.

> I guess it all depends on how expensive they get then.  If it comes
> cheap enough, it might be worth it.
Yes. But...

> > Aha. Here is the reason why they absorbed Sequent: NUMA technology.
> > I didn't know that the SPs are loose coupled message passing
> > machines.
> I don't know whether the RS/6K SP is based on Sequent's technology.
I don't think so. I meant: IBM saw that they would need NUMA technology
in addition to there SP technology. So they opened the wallet and
Sequent was the victim. Result of that is (possibly) that Linux cluster
fsck.

> I know IBM's big Linux clusters definitely are.
Or is it some kind of MOSIX?

> > > FDDI makes a really nice cluster interconnect medium.
> > I know. Unfortunately Tru64 doesn't support it for this purpose.
> That sucks.  I use it under VMS to do clustering.
The requirements for a Tru64 cluster are somewhat higher than for a VMS
cluster. You need a shared SCSI bus with multiple disks in addition to a
cluster interconnect...
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen