[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 08:26:53 CST 2003

--- Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 February 2003 09:40, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> > Why is NT on Alpha 32bit? Wouldn't that mean horrible performance?
>
> It also means instability, and an Alpha that needs a BIOS to boot.

I thought that WinNT was 32 bit to accomodate Intel exectuables,
running through the HAL interface, but weren't 64 bit Alpha executables
supported?

Then again, in hind-sight, if WinNT were 64 bit on Alpha hardware, then
it really would have been touted much more that it (appraently) was...

Was I just duped by marketing (I can see how you could make a person
think it was 64 bit without actually saying it - "WinNT supports native
code on DEC Alpha processors, which are 64 bit CPU.")?

TIA,

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com