[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Feb 6 05:11:35 CST 2003

On Thursday 06 February 2003 02:58, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 07:54 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> >>    Great...so while the rest of the computing world is moving forward
> >> (well, except for the possibility of Gnome and KDE) Microsoft is
> >> moving
> >> *backward*.  Big surprise there.
> >
> > Heh... could you support your answer with proof? I mean about Gnome and
> > KDE... Being an opensource fanatic I can't let this one go :-p
>
>    I'm an open source fanatic too...that has nothing to do with it.
> Both Gnome and KDE are so UNBELIEVABLY slow and bloated that it's just
> ridiculous.
>
>    For proof, compare the sit-down-and-use-it performance of ANY other
> modern desktop platform (I said "modern", i.e. not Windows) with Gnome
> or KDE.  I'm not even talking about minimalist stuff like X with
> twm...Try, for example, X with CDE.

I sadly have to agree. Kde is pretty much going the same way as windows, it
takes up almost half the RAM that Xp does *g* . OTOH, I thought CDE fell
under the "old crap" category? Or do I have to jump in a manhole again now?

Personally, I use Enlightenment, and on top of that I run gnome or kde
applications.

>    Then, for added fun, try...just TRY...to compile Gnome from
> distributed sources on anything but Linux on an x86.  If you don't give
> up in frustration due to nonportable code and Linux/x86 assumptions,
> just see how long it takes to build the huge fucking thing.  Then do a
> "du" for added fun.

I am not a developer, but afaik c++ compilations take a LOT more temporary
disk space then C. I don't have experience with it on non-x86 platforms,
but there are enough distributions who ship the exact same (large)
collection of software for x86 as for PPC or sparc. Example being Debian,
which uses build daemons that build package X for 11 architectures at once.

>    There is no reason...ZERO...for this stuff to be this bloated.  It
> has some great functionality, sure, but nowhere near enough to justify
> hundreds of megabytes of disk space and a day-long compile.

All that code must go SOMEWHERE though. What does it do then?

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be