[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Thu Feb 6 02:40:22 CST 2003

> > > Heh... could you support your answer with proof? I mean about Gnome and
> > > KDE... Being an opensource fanatic I can't let this one go :-p
> >
> >    I'm an open source fanatic too...that has nothing to do with it.
> > Both Gnome and KDE are so UNBELIEVABLY slow and bloated that it's just
> > ridiculous.
>
>Yup, certainly have to agree. (Sunblade 100 w/ 512MB of memory is my
>reference point FYI)
>
>FWIW, IMHO KDE is slightly better in the performance arena than Gnome
>is.

Just downloaded the Sun packages of Gnome 2.0 for my Sunblade 100 w/ 512 MB
memory.  Ran somewhat OK except that XP on the SunPCI card was unusable
(wouldn't respond to all mouse-clicks properly).

Digging through the Sun website indicates performance may be better by
installing the mediaLib libraries as apparently Sun's Gnome is compiled
with support for these libraries.  I only had a few minutes to play after
installing these, but it seems to make a significant difference in
performance.  XP on the SunPCI was real snappy (for XP), general Gnome
stuff seemed quite a bit faster too.

Still not sure if I can get used to Gnome, but since Sun seem to be keen to
ditch CDE, I guess I'd better get used to the damn thing.  Why can't they
bring back OpenLook ?

Rob.