[rescue] SGI/PS2 Keyboards/Mice?

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Wed Feb 5 22:32:02 CST 2003

Hi,

It is my understanding that "modern" SGI's use PS/2 style keyboards and
mice.  In my case a SGI Octane.

I've two keyboards lying around as spares, both PS/2.  One was the local
computer mart's 5.00$ special, complete with Windows key (bought within
the last 6 months.)   The other, a original IBM PS/2 keyboard made on
Dec 11, 1989 (according to the label on the bottom).

Obviously, the new one doesn't work, (I get keyboard failures from the
power on diagnostics) hence my question.

Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm out looking around for a
new keyboard and mouse for this thing tomorrow?   Any reasonable guesses
why one would work, and the other not?

Thanks,

David