[rescue] Solaris on a PPC (now VMS)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 5 17:16:55 CST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 06:12 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> Not many people are ready to spend big $$$ for OSs that they think the
> owners are eager to kill.  Then there was that whole replace everything
> with unix phase before that, etc.

   The owners are eager to kill it, but that doesn't mean they can.  I
seem to recall reading some time ago (about when they discontinued the
VAX) that they're contractually obligated to maintain VMS until
something like 2014.

   Besides...Even Fiorina isn't stupid enough to leave THAT much money
sitting on the table.

         -Dave