[rescue] Good FDDI Concentrator?

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Wed Feb 5 15:25:19 CST 2003

Gah let's try this again...

Stoned koalas drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Dave McGuire exclaimed:

>    100Mbit uplink module...you mean 100Mbit ethernet?  No...that'd make
> it a translational bridge.  There are several nice Cisco boxes that can
> do this, my personal favorite is the Catalyst 5000...they're just now
> coming into the range of reasonable pricing, and are highly capable.

Yeah, dummy me..I meant 100BaseTX.

I've been looking at the 5000s for quite a while and they are getting to be
a bargain. Still a little too steep for my budget right now though.  I
guess they're coming down in price because AFAIK you can't do 1000BaseFX
with them.  However you *can* do 622Mbps OC12 with them if you have the
right supervisor module, then you get to tell all your friends that you
have an OC12 at home. ;)

-Jeff

--
Jeff Workman | jworkman at pimpworks.org | http://www.pimpworks.org