[rescue] Good FDDI Concentrator?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Feb 5 13:37:57 CST 2003

On 2003.02.05 20:01 Jeff Workman wrote:

> Anybody have any recommendations on a good concentrator?
I have a Hirschman MC 10-03. Unfortunately I don't have the management
module, but it is nice anyway. Dual redundant PSUs, all modules hot
plugable. A module can be configured via DIP switches as dual M Port for
two SAS nodes or single A/B for DAS. An other "unfortune" is that I
don't have a CDDI / coper module.

> I see several Cisco workgroup concentrators on ebay. Are these
> managable?
Don't know. I have the reminders of a broken Syskonnect concentrator. It
has a M68k based management module build in. IMHO a good alternative to
the usual suspects Cisco or 3COM. Apropos, 3COM. A friend has a 3COM
concentrator and is happy with it.

> Do they have a 100Mbit uplink module (cheaply) available?
FDDI is 100 MBit/s. Oh, you mean 100 MBit/s Ethernet? Well, in that case
you will need an Ethernet switch with FDDI uplink. Putting Ethernet and
FDDI on the same logical subnet requires a bridge that can do proper
IP-(de)fragmentation, as FDDI has a larger MTU than Ethernet. I heard
thet e.g. the 3COM LANplex (?) 2500 has problems with
IP-(de)fragmentation. I have a Cabletron ESX-1320 12 port 10 MBit/s
Ethernet switch with one DAS FDDI uplink. Works very well. (And draws
more power than most of my machines. ;-) )
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen