[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Brent B. Powers sunrescue at b2pi.com
Wed Feb 5 08:53:08 CST 2003

    >> Bill Bradford wrote:
    >> >
    >> > NT was designed and written on a MIPS Magnum R4000 >
    >> workstation; I used to have one (and ran NT on it for a >
    >> while, even).  x86 was *not* the primary/ first platform > for
    >> NT.
    >>
    >> Wasn't NT developed somewhere deep in Digital labs on
    >> Alpha-gear? Along the road they eventually merged that
    >> department with Mickeysoft, which later went all Mickeysoft and
    >> released NT 3.x This all had something related to that
    >> Mickeysoft was unfamiliar with 64-bit code and such...

This is a canard. First, NT wasn't and (I think) isn't 64 bits, but
pretty much nothing else was when Cutler went to Microsoft. NT shares
architecture with VMS, as they both had the same architect, but it was
developed at Microsoft. First test implementation was definitely on
the MIPS, but much of the code was written (I've been told) on OS/2. I
wasn't there, but I know someone who sold them a _lot_ of tools.