Using stuff we rescue ... was Re: [rescue] de-racking RL02s?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 4 08:19:06 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bjorn Ramqvist" <v53278 at g.haggve.se>
Subject: Re: [rescue] de-racking RL02s?

> I go for that too. If I can't run the systems I rescue myself, I'd be
> sure to let it go for a good home where it can stay far away from the
> evil scrapyard. We all geeks actually admire the technology rather than
> call it "obsolete" and "unuseful".

For a while I wasn't getting any time or having any energy to run my
rescues... lately as of the past couple of nights, I've been having a lot of
fun with my Crimson.  It's a full 6.2 MipsPro 7.2 install (where do licenses
come into play... haven't had the machine mention anything about them...but
stuff compiles fine)... did all the patches... found the libpthread patch.
I've put it to work on the geeks team for distrib folding, I added ntp so
that it isn't 7/4/76 every reboot.  I'm now compiling and installing ssh....
I forgot how fun this can be at times... it also generates supplemental heat
for the house which needed it earlier this month.  It is, however, a little
bit loud.  I think I'd like to replace this with something along the lines
of anything from a Challenge to an Origin 2000.  I figure if I'm wasting big
hairy electricity balls on something it shouldn't be a graphics desktop.
Then I can get an Octane for the desk.  The O2000's are great because they
are rackable and pretty.  Or Onyx 2's... but then again that leans back
towards graphics in a deskside power hungry unit... nope... need less heads
in the house... more rackable stuff.

Andrew