[rescue] SGI Indy Processor Question

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Feb 3 18:24:31 CST 2003

Even though I haven't gotten my first Indy up and running, I just
got another Indy.  This one with keyboard, mouse, monitor, 150MHZ
R5K, two 4 gig drives (one external), and a new unopened XZ graphics
board... all for $75.00.

So, now I'll have sort of an Inday and a half (till I can complete
the 2nd one).

I know I probably won't keep both, as I also have an Indogo 2 on the
way, so I have a question on what is better to keep...

an R4400 175MHz or an R5000 150MHz (512K cache) ?

The 4400 has 1 meg of cache, the R5000 has only 512K cache (and is
25 MHz slower).

Reason I don't know the answer to this one is that I'm not familiar
enough with the architecture changes between R4400 and R5000 enough
to know if half the cache and 25 MHz slower may simply still be faster.

Thanks,

  -- Curt