[rescue] The HP D250

Michael Still MikeS at McBurney.com
Mon Feb 3 09:37:09 CST 2003

You can get away with switching the end on the power cord for the PDU.  I
did that on a couple HP racks.  Another thing I did so I could go back to
220V if I ever had it was to just make a little jumper cord with a L6-20
female and a standard 110V male plug.  If you do this be sure to unplug the
fans from the PDU because they aren't auto switching.  I had a K-box on 110V
for a while like this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Weiss [mailto:ajwdsp at cloud9.net]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:57 AM
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
Subject: [rescue] The HP D250

I got back from trucking this thing home this weekend and lugging the rack
up the stairs.... Jeebus these are heavy.... and I took all the skins off,
the tray out, and the counterweights out (those are a huge load all by
themselves).  My question is this... both the Jamaica enclosure and the D
class are set to run on 230V and the PDU is the 230 V variety with the 230V
blower fan tray.  I can switch the server to 115, and the back of the
Jamaica says use 230V or 115V, so I assume it is auto-switching (caveats?).
I would really like to actually run the cage fans and strip.  Can I get a
stepup transformer of some kind and safely/reliably do this?  The ratings
are 230V 18A, but I know it can't possibly draw that much amperage from
merely a D250, a fan tray, and JBOD.  The PDU is just a 230V power strip.
The pdu's power strip plugs are inverted computer power cables (male
connectors).  The wall plug for the pdu is a 250V 30A twist-lock.  Should I
do plug surgery and get a 220V normal outlet and a stepup transformer?

Andrew J. Weiss
Field Network Engineer
En Pointe Technologies
aweiss at enpointe.com, ajwdsp at cloud9.net