[rescue] Re: [geeks] Crap! Not again...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 20:56:45 CST 2003

--- Shawn Wallbridge <shawn at synack-hosting.com> wrote:
> They have had damaged tiles in the past and made it home safely. A
> few years ago they found that some of the insulation on the fuel
> tank was 'popcorning' and damaging the underside of the shuttle
> during launch. That shuttle had quite a few damaged tiles and it
> still made it home. I also remember hearing about one shuttle that
> came home with half a dozen tiles missing and they didn't know until
> they did their post flight inspection.

That was the "joke" with the first few flights, wasn't it?

OH, I miss Richard Feynmann - he could have solved this puzzle in no
time (he figured out the O-Ring problem while playing with an O-Ring
and some ice water during the hearings when the last shuttle went down)...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com