[rescue] Re: [geeks] Crap! Not again...

dave dave at cca.org
Sat Feb 1 17:49:36 CST 2003

mcguire at neurotica.com writes:

>On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 05:11 PM, Michael Free wrote:
>> Yes, more than just coincidence. We should declare war on all forces of
>> terrorist foam. Foam is evil!
>>
>> This was a tragic accident. There was nothing that could have been
>> done once
>> that tile was damaged, they didn't have the capability to spacewalk
>> out and
>> repair it. What was done was done.

>   So they knew they had problems and just had to come down anyway?  I
>don't buy it.  They could've gone to ISS and hung out there and awaited
>another ride home.  Sure, a difficult proposition, but better than
>losing the ship and crew.

I saw a brief reference somewhere that the Columbus, being of a
slightly different design, was too heavy to make it up to the
ISS's orbit. Anyone know if that's true?

In either case, I'm sure if they suspected a catastrophic failure
on reentry, they would figure out a way to rescue the crew in
orbit. These are clever people.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------