[rescue] FDDI concentrators, cables, cards?

James Birdsall jwbirdsa at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:53:07 CDT 2003

> There is one WS-C1100 on its way here, will have to check w/ the
> firmware.
>
> Are these beasts loud?

The 1100 has two fans in front behind a grill. These fans have two speeds
which they cycle between, medium and turbine. At medium they're just one
more hum in the pack, indistinguishable from the rest. At turbine, they can
easily be heard over the noise of a dozen other machines. I was hoping that
a good cleaning would keep it cool enough for the fans to stay at medium,
but when I opened it up I discovered that there was very little dust. Even
with just two or three machines attached, or even one, it gets hot enough to
cycle the fans up.

--James B.