[rescue] Re: New Home Toys

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Tue Aug 26 07:36:27 CDT 2003

>> The E3500 doesn't have any disks in it either so it looks like I get to
>> learn about FC-AL. I removed one of the Sbus I/O boards from the E3500 and
>> installed two of the CPU boards from the E5500. It now has 8x336 MHz CPUs
>> and 8GB RAM. The Sbus I/O boards all have Emulex LP9002S 2Gb/s FC boards on
>> them. I don't have anything to connect them to though. I do have an old Sun
>> RAID with a FC (25MHz?) interface that contains 30x2GB disks. Will this
>> connect to the FC ports on the 3500?
>
>No, but holy mother of...! You know the pricetag on such boards, new?
>Heh.
>How many boards did you have?
>
>/Bjorn

I have 7 CPU boards with 2x336 MHz CPUs and 1GB RAM each, 4 Sbus I/O boards
with a total of 4 Emulex 9002 Fibre Channel boards and 2 Fast Wide
Differential Ultra SCSI boards, and a bunch of Fibre Channel modules, 12
Power/Cooling modules, 2 clock boards, 1 copper/optical Fibre Channel adapter.

I found CPUs modules for $49 each, the boards for about $1k each. That
doesn't mean that someone will really pay that much. It would be
interesting to know what these systems cost when they were new. The systems
are 5 years old now so they aren't worth much.

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net