[rescue] Re: analog routers...

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 07:18:36 CDT 2003

>> There's a difference between "a monitor" and "graphics." Unless you're
>> using Windows, of course. Redhat, SuSE, Debian, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
>> Solaris can all install from a text console.
>
>Yes, but they still need a graphics card.
>
>When I said "graphics" I was referring to this requirement.
>
>It's virtually impossible, without ISA slots, to avoid having graphics
>on a PC.

Not really, there are quite a few mainstream PC motherboards that will
happily boot without a graphics card. Even Windows will happily boot
without a video card if you install the nullvga.sys driver from the server
appliance development kit (a free download).

Of course you will need a graphics card and monitor for the initial
installation (assuming you don't have a pre-built disk image you can clone)
but then you just yank the card out and thereafter admin the system via
remote desktop or X etc.

Regards,

Gavin