[rescue] analog routers...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Aug 26 00:22:04 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 07:05:04AM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Aside from needing graphics for an install, the PC and Sun box have the
> same limitations...

The Sun won't lose its serial console if something bad happens,
like hte OS would not boot.  With the PC you have to hunt a
monitor.

> > > Almost as silly as suggesting a PC-based router
> > > when you want something appliancelike for the purpose.
> >
> > I don't really want anything appliance-like, I just want something
> > small that works good, and I don't want a PC.
>
> Let's see - what do you want? You don't want a purpose-built box
> (appliance-like) nor do you want a PC - what's left, aside from better
> serial ports for your Sun box?

Sorry, what I meant was that I am not specifically looking for an
"appliancelike" gateway.

There are several good options that are small and work well.

Big or PC is not what I want.

> Ah... It's a shame Sun HSI cards can't be made into, uhm, high-speed
> serial interfaces for just these types of applications.

I know, I had one of those.  Utterly useless.

> It would also be very nice if Sun supported some form of PCI modem
> (obviously not a Wimmodem).

I don't know, they'd be hard to cram into an sbus slot... :)

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com