[rescue] Creator 3D Series 3 Performance

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Mon Aug 25 09:45:05 CDT 2003

Hi,

On 25-Aug-2003 Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:51:37PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>> Where did you get it? I am looking for a decent framebuffer, that is, if
>> they
>> don't wost too much ;-)
>> My ultra5 currently has an 8 bit framebuffer which is quit slow. I don't
>> know
>> if a 270 MHz is beefy enough to watch movies divx, mpeg,...[1]) but I guess
>> need one that supports hardware scaling. I have no idea what all these Sun
>> framebuffers are capable of.
>> [1] Someone I know played those on a 200 MHz Amd-K6, wasn't exactly fluently
>
> You cant use a UPA framebuffer (C3D, etc) in an Ultra5- you'll have to go
> with a PCI-based Expert3D-Lite or one of the newer Radeon-based XVR-100s.

Or an el cheapo PGX32/64 (the PGX64 is based on the ATI Rage XL chip) if all
you care for is a high resolution 2D true-color display. That's also available
from second source vendors.

I have some doubts whether an MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 decoder will give satisfactory
performance on a 270 MHz chip since that model is addled by its small cache
size.

--

        later,
        Stephen