[rescue] Re: New Home Toys

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Mon Aug 25 07:55:05 CDT 2003

>>I have an Enterprise 5500 and an Enterprise 3500 on the way.
>>It looks like the processor boards are the same?
>>Can I merge the 5500 boards into the 3500 chassis?
>>
>>Michael Thompson
>>E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net
>
>You should be fine as long as the processors are the same speed across all
>the cards in the target system. The gigaplane architecture is designed so
>that if (for some reason) you insert an 83MHz or 90MHz board into an 100MHz
>system, the bus controller will automatically clock-down the giagplane bus
>to accommodate the slower cards.
>
>Why will you be transferring the E5500 boards into the E3500? Wouldn't it
>be better to transfer them in the other direction? (the E5500 is a 14-way
>capable machine, it is literally just an E4500 in a fancy Sun rack).
>
>Regards,
>
>Gavin

I picked up the machines on Saturday. The E5500 didn't have any disk bays
in it and I really don't have room for another refrigerator so I stripped
it for parts. I kept everything except for the cabinet sheet metal.

The E3500 doesn't have any disks in it either so it looks like I get to
learn about FC-AL. I removed one of the Sbus I/O boards from the E3500 and
installed two of the CPU boards from the E5500. It now has 8x336 MHz CPUs
and 8GB RAM. The Sbus I/O boards all have Emulex LP9002S 2Gb/s FC boards on
them. I don't have anything to connect them to though. I do have an old Sun
RAID with a FC (25MHz?) interface that contains 30x2GB disks. Will this
connect to the FC ports on the 3500?

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson at IDS.net