[rescue] analog routers...

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Aug 24 11:52:32 CDT 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Aside from needing graphics for an install, the PC and Sun box have the
> same limitations...

Well, neither needs graphics for most UNIX-oriented installs. Most PCs do
want you to use a keyboard and monitor though.

> > > Almost as silly as suggesting a PC-based router when you want
> > > something appliancelike for the purpose.
> >
> > I don't really want anything appliance-like, I just want something
> > small that works good, and I don't want a PC.
>
> Let's see - what do you want? You don't want a purpose-built box
> (appliance-like) nor do you want a PC - what's left, aside from better
> serial ports for your Sun box?

Heh. Some minds think alike. :)

Maybe he wants an altitude-challenged employee to sit at console on a VAX
and route packets manually.

Wonder if anyone's used sunPCi as a router in an existing Sun machine.

> Ah... It's a shame Sun HSI cards can't be made into, uhm, high-speed
> serial interfaces for just these types of applications.
>
> It would also be very nice if Sun supported some form of PCI modem
> (obviously not a Wimmodem).

The hardware can probably comprehend it, but you'd need a non-Sun OS for
it. Although I think LSI had a SPARC-compatible modem combo card of some
sort a while back.

--Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com