Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...)

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Aug 23 22:11:08 CDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> could hook up my MP3 or MD player while riding.
>
> Actually, I don't think I'd want that on the bike.  I find I prefer not
> to have the distraction when I'm riding.

I had speakers in my helmet once upon a time (still have the helmet,
but no bike now) with a headphone jack on the end of the line. I'd plug
it into a walkman or cd player for long trips.

>> Excessive noise levels is also a major cause of fatigue.
>
> So I've heard.  I've never had a fatigue problem riding solo trips up
> 200 miles at a stretch.

See above re: long trips. I rode from Baltimore to New Orleans in 2
13-hour stretches with one overnight stop along the way. That was 12
years ago, though. I'm old now and don't think I could do it again. It
was on a Triumph Bonneville 650, with the pistons running in parallel
(like a single-cyl thumper with two cylinders), and even between the
long ride, excessive noise, and massive serious vibration, I didn't
really suffer any fatigue problems. Like I said, though, I was 24 at
the time, and won't be trying it again.

---sambo