[rescue] Do you remember when? Security software.....

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 21 20:46:47 CDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 07:11:06PM -0400, Michael Schiller wrote:

> On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 01:25  PM, Shannon wrote:
>

> > I think it is about time the corporations started accepting some of OUR
> > conditions.
>
> I think you've missed one very big point. With the job market the way
> it is, for any position they (the company doing the hiring) have, they
> have lots of prospective employees to pick from. If (or when) you have

No, I didn't miss that.

I was just pointing out that it is a two-way street.  They want to treat
the situation as if they are giving and giving, and we just benefit.

Sorry, but that's not true.  Going to work for a corporation, especially
these days, is making a huge commitment of your life.

> The same is true with IT. If Unix sysadmins were hard to find, then we
> would have a greater influence on the company's that are hiring them,
> but I'm pretty sure for any job offered there are many folks replying,
> so the company gets to pick & choose.

You would like to think so, but the fact is the majority of the people
responding aren't really qualified.

A lot of companies don't seem to be using the opportinity to pick and
choose very well.

At least a few locally though, have cast off some deadweight, which
opened up positions for some good people.  Not enough, but little
victories are good.