[rescue] analog routers...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Aug 22 22:48:57 CDT 2003

Saith Shannon ...
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:50:08PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
> +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

[snip]

> > 2.  Netopia or other brand ISDN router that has analog backup.  These
> > often have very nice telnet interfaces; not Cisco, but cheap.  Bonus
> > on these is that they can do port mapping and have limited but useful
> > IPfilter capabilities.  And the firmware will be better tested than
> > DLink/Linksys etc.
>
> Someone else told me they liked theirs, so I'm looking around.

The Netopia ISDN router I have includes a PCMCIA slot, and the "features"
list in the manual  says something about using that for dial-in maintenance.
There is, however, nothing in the manual about actually setting it up or
using it, and a quick note to Netopia support elicited an admission that the
feature "was never implemented."  I assume that later model Netopia ISDN
routers are diffo.

So, some care is required along the Netopia path.

-Shel