[rescue] Re: SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 22:23:49 CDT 2003

--- Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:02:52PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > All this is logical... however, once processed, the difference in
> > display on a 24 bit display vs a 32 bit color dispaly is probably
> > imperceptable.... and didn't this whole thread start on what the
> > display was displaying... not what amount of significant bits were
> > used in processing ??? or is my memory dropping bits ?
>
> My point was, starting out with 32-bit or 48-bit data probably keeps
> rounding and other cumulative processing errors and noise below the
> 'noise floor' perceptible by the human eye on a 24-bit display.

Agreed, but having the ability to DISPLAY 32 or 48 bits is something
different than that... Again, internal (behind the scenes) processing
can use all the bits you have, but for a display (printer, CRT) to be
viewed with a human eye... I don't think it is a perceptible
difference...

I think I have tired of this thread - sorry to all for dragging it out,
I'll drop it - thanks!

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall