Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Aug 22 15:21:01 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:41:48PM -0700, N.Miller wrote:
> You can get custom-made silicon ear plugs in the US for about
> $50-100 if you go to an ear mold technician rather than an
> audiologist (they usu. charge ~$200).  These ear plugs are
> made to fit only you, and are usually lost before they wear
> out, and are just as good as those made by audiologists.
>
> I wear ear plugs:  shooting firearms, going to music concerts or
> clubs, riding my motorcyle (and I wear a full-face helmet), running
> the vacuum cleaner, using the lawn mower, weed eater, or any other
> power tool...

Note for anyone in California (quirk of law):  In California, it is
illegal to wear over-the-counter earplugs of any kind while operating a
motorcycle.  Custom-molded earplugs such as Nadine has just described,
however, are legal.  Go figure.

Personally, I prefer ear defenders to plugs for shooting, and I only
once wore earplugs (inside a full-face helmet) while riding ....
curiously, it seemed to me that the perceived noise level was much
higher with earplugs and helmet than with helmet alone.  I've never come
up with a good explanation for this.  In particular, wind roar in my
right ear became REALLY offensive -- it went from something I scarcely
noticed to a major distraction that seriously affected my concentration.

Again, go figure.