[rescue] Re: SGI Onyx4 - uses ATI graphics chips (sigh)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Aug 22 13:06:54 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 01:52:04PM -0400, Aaron Finley wrote:
> >64bit per pixel, or 64bit per channel?
>
> Per Pixel. 16-bit alpha channel i believe.
>
> SGI specs the RE2 as having 96-bit per pixel. I find that hard to believe,
> and it might be a mistake, as SGIs typically have 96-bit accumulation
> buffers.

The Sun ZX board claimed 96bits per pixel.  But, that's only how many
bits were used per pixel in the frame buffer, not how many bits per
pixel were fed to the ramdac.

SGI may or may not be making a similar claim.  You can use 32bit
floating point pixel buffers on some SGIs (I believe the RE2 is one of
them), but I believe that gets converted to 16bit linear format to feed
to the ramdac when you try to display it.