[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Fri Aug 22 12:02:03 CDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:12:23PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> [...]
> > Don't know about ultra2's but my ultra5 is silent :-)
>
> Lucky bastard. I rarely use my Ultra 30 because it sounds like a jet engine.
> It makes my x86 box seem silent in comparison.

Strange.  I find my U30 much quieter than the U1 it displaced.  And both
are quieter than the 6-slot 811 disk pack attached to them (attached
sequentially, not simultaneously).

The loudest machine in the house right now, by a considerable margin, is
my eldest daughter's Athlon 1200.  It has a pair of drive-bay fans that
produce a very noticeable roar.  (The fact that it's sitting on a
table rather than on the floor probably doesn't help, either.)

The other x86 machines, I scarcely notice.  My wife's K6-III/450 and
PII/400 are inaudible from where I sit.  The Athlon XP1700 gamebox to my
left has a subliminal whine from its 7000rpm CPU fan that I really only
notice when I think about it.  The Athlon XP1800 on my right, which is
my Linux workstation, just hums quietly to itself despite mirrored
7200rpm disks and a total of, um .... nine fans (five 80mm, three
high-speed 40mm, and one 60mm CPU fan).

Of course, on the currently-rare occasions it gets powered up, the E3000
beats the lot.  :)