Noise and Hearing (was Re: [rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...)

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Fri Aug 22 11:10:42 CDT 2003

On Friday 22 August 2003 08:41 am, d.kindred at telesciences.com wrote:
<snip>
> We have some old LX's with the 420 Meg drives that have been screaming
> for several YEARS without ever actually failing.  The thing that scares
> me is that in one of the server rooms YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!  Can't be
> good for long term expectations of hearing.
>
> I know of the risks to hearing from some of my hobbies, but what about
> from long term exposure to computer room noise?

<snip>

I dunno about y'all, but I'm half-deaf as it is.  I suspect my years of living
in server farms haven't helped any.

All kidding aside, I've lost about 15% of my hearing in my left ear and 30% in
my right, likely due to machine noise.  To make things worse, my weekend
hobby is racing cars.  I think that as the years go by, there will be more
and more people like me in our profession/hobby.

I'm not sure what can be done about this, though.  C'est la vie, I suppose.