[rescue] u2 drive trays

James Braid jamesb at loreland.org
Fri Aug 22 07:32:18 CDT 2003

Kevin said the following on 20/08/2003 9:27 a.m.:
> But finding GigE switches (copper of fiber) that
> support jumbo frames is another story entirely and
> unless you're just going between just two machines,
> you're gonna need the switch to accomplish anything.

Most/all current Foundry and Extreme switches do (ok, so this isnt
exactly cheap gear, but its out there). I haven't had any problems with
any of our SGIs (fibre and copper NICs) nor with any of the PC cards we
use at work.

The JetCore based Foundry gear will fragment the packets back into
smaller fragments for non-jumbo frame supporting gear as well, which rocks.

Simply changing to a 9000 byte MTU on our NetApp, Onyx3 and switch, the
the NFS throughput doubled, and it took all of 5 minutes. (yes, for any
real work we use HIPPI on the Onyx3)

- James