[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Paul Weissmann paul at doorslam.net
Fri Aug 22 01:20:12 CDT 2003

Dave McGuire [mcguire at neurotica.com] wrote:
> On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 05:23 PM, Paul Weissmann wrote:
> >>great DEC/Alpha deals just in the last month.  PA-RISC stuff is still
> >>expensive mostly, but there has been a few good deals.
> >
> >Nah, even RDI PrecisionBooks came down to $150, so PA-RISC isn't
> >anymore expensive at all.
> >
> >You could get a Convex SPP1200 SMP-Cluster w/ 16 PA8000 CPUs for less
> >than $1000 here too, so no great deal.
> >
> >The latter is still a bit steep for my pockets though, but well, this
> >used to be called a massively-parallel supercomputer some moons ago
> >and now sells for about a decent PC/Mac.
>
>   That's a very respectable machine by today's standards, despite its
> age.  I'd just about kill for one.  You're in the UK, right?

Yeah, was sad that I do not have ~$1000 to play around with.
But well, getting SPP-UX would be one problem I reckon. (HP-UX w/
parallel extensions and a MACH-based kernel).

It even ran off regular 2-phase 230V, though one'd need some really
big blowers for that beast I reckon.

	- paul

--
   zwei jaeger treffen sich. beide tot.