[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Aug 21 16:16:17 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 05:12:17PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Oh I wasn't even talking about that...(but now that you mention it...
> ;)) I know a guy around here who complains about an Ultra2.  That's
> just ridiculous.

Yeah - you should hear some of the old U2s around here (work) though -
a lot of the "noise" people complain about is old HDs whose bearings are
going.. and we all know that *WHEEEEEE* sound a gradually-dying drive makes.

> >It was almost as bad as firing up a Sun 420R in a 5'x6' cubicle.
>   I think maybe you had a bad fan bearing or something...?

Possibly, yeah.  It was even louder than a Netra T1.. T1s are loud in a
cubicle (I had 4 of them fired up at once, once), but bearable.. just a
loud WHIRRRR

(am I the only one who walks into a fully loaded datacenter and goes
"AWW YEAH FEEL THE HUM"?)

Bill

--
bill bradford