[rescue] Re: Throw another packet on the server...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 21 16:01:12 CDT 2003

On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 02:38 PM, Daniel de Young wrote:
>>    I haven't run the Cray all that much since I've lived here, due to
>> lack of fundage.  They were the worst offenders heat-wise.  Up in
>> Maryland when I was running the J90 full time, I had an 18,000 BTU air
>> conditioner handling the machine room.
>>
>>    Here (AS500, AS800, AS4100, box full of FC-AL disks, rackmount
>> Ultra60 with lots of disks, E450, a couple Netra-X1s, a couple
>> Ultra1s,
>> and a Cat5000 running full-time in the machine room) I have an 8000
>> BTU
>> air conditioner handling them.  Barely.  Upgrading that is very high
>> on
>> my priority list.
>
> Sorry, I haven't been around long.  Please give me a moment to process
> this list...
>
> Kleeorg
>
> Okay... better now.

   Perhaps it's time to take pictures again. ;)  Keep in mind that I do
a lot of stuff with this network, both for my job as well as my
personal life.

> And my wife thinks I'm a nut for having a few ss20s, u1 u2, few peecees
> and a 2924XL.  Perhaps I'll show her this post...

   Well...the notion that one is only "supposed" to only eat, sleep,
drink cheap beer, and watch "the game" at home is silly.  Doing real
work with real equipment isn't the exclusive domain of tall suit-filled
glass buildings.

> I can see that frequenting this list and working is going to mean I'll
> be forming some new bad habits when I get a job ;)  There has been some
> great DEC/Alpha deals just in the last month.  PA-RISC stuff is still
> expensive mostly, but there has been a few good deals.

   Those are good habits, not bad ones.

       -Dave